Rendering of the Golden Ears Bridge Crossing.
The Golden Ears Bridge project consisted of the construction of a new road network in support of a new six-lane toll bridge across the Fraser River in eastern Metro Vancouver. The project, valued at $850 million, was delivered as a P3. It includes approximately 13 km of new arterial roads, 12 bridge structures, and provided a new multi-modal transportation corridor linking communities on the river’s south side, Langley and Surrey, and the north side, Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows.
CJI was awarded the Consulting Engineers of British Columbia’s 2006 Annual Award for Engineering Excellence for their work developing the project, its scope, documentation, and statutory approvals.
Scope of Services:
Owner’s Technical Manager during project development stage and Implementation Manager during construction stage
- Co-coordinated all of the projects technical aspects during the planning, development, and procurement phases of the DBFO contract,
- Managed technical scope, road and bridge engineering, environmental assessment certification, and property acquisition,
- Provided scope, procedures, and documentation for the new major river bridge, together with approach highways,
- Developed the design-build implementation procedures for TransLink,
- Developed terms and conditions acceptable to Metro Vancouver in relation to accommodating future needs,
- Worked closely with TransLink to develop a single common agreement with all four municipalities affected by the Golden Ears Bridge,
- Established a set of distinct and flexible design guidelines for the project that incorporated Context Sensitive Design,
- Worked with CN and CP in order to establish a protocol which allows the DBFO contractor the flexibility to construct project works within the railway company’s required procedures and regulations,
- Facilitated collaboration with utility companies and regulatory agencies,
- Integrating a separate DBO Tolling Contract.
South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority
Other principal companies involved:
- Bilfinger Berger Civil and Concessionaire – Principal Contractor and Concessionaire
- Associated Engineering – Owner’s Engineer
Metro Vancouver, BC
Public Private Partnership (design-build-finance-operate)
Dates of Assignment: