Erecting the longest push-launched bridge span in North America.
The Coast Meridian Overpass (CMO) over CP Rail’s Port Coquitlam Yard provides continuity of Coast Meridian Road, a component of the Major Road Network in the City of Port Coquitlam. Built by push-launch technologies in order to accommodate the very restricted site access, it is one-kilometer in length and spans one of the largest rail yards in Canada. It was created with the goal of relieving traffic congestion and accommodating travel between north and south Port Coquitlam.
The Coast Meridian Road now has a continuous north-south arterial connecting the primarily residential areas of Port Coquitlam to the industrial areas south of the CP Rail tracks and to the downtown city retail/commercial areas. Close collaboration of contractor, CP Rail, and City teams was a major contributor to the success of the project.
Scope of Services:
Project Director for the City of Port Coquitlam
- Provided the role of project director,
- Concluded a favourable settlement with CP Rail permitting the City to construct and operate an overpass of the Rail Yard,
- Carried out an assessment of different delivery models suitable for the inherent constraints and risks,
- Prepared a project team organization to act on behalf of and to advise the City during the development, procurement, and delivery,
- Developed terms of reference and retained the City’s project team,
- Managed the procurement of the design-build contract,
- Developed and implemented strategies to manage capital cost and contingency costing,
- Chaired the project Steering committee meetings with representation from TransLink and the City of Port Coquitlam,
- Regularly participated at City Council and committee meetings,
- Provided monthly reports on construction, including schedule analysis, contractor claims, and general contract administration.
City of Port Coquitlam
Other principal companies involved:
- SLCP (SNC-Lavalin Constructors Pacifc) – Principal Design-Build Contractor
- Hatch Mott MacDonald – Owner’s Engineer
Metro Vancouver, BC
Dates of Assignment: