Collings Johnston Inc. (CJI) is a Vancouver-based technical management consulting company providing advisory and management services on major transportation and infrastructure projects. We have experience in the development and implementation of projects in Canada, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Principals Robin Johnston and Ian Rokeby, and founding partner John Collings have developed particular expertise in public-private partnership (P3) and design-build (DB) contracts since these two alternative delivery methods were introduced to Canada.
We retain an expert core staff that is focused on the management of infrastructure projects. We take pride in our ability to provide timely and cost-effective services. Our goal is to optimize the value of major infrastructure projects while reducing risk exposure to owners. Our effectiveness is in recognizing the need to be innovative and to work within political environments.
We always keep the “big picture” in mind and know what is required to run a successful project. We work collaboratively with our clients, their many departments, and with multi-disciplinary project teams. Our client base includes owners, engineers, proponents, contractors, funders.
Today’s best practices for major capital project development and delivery are focused on value maximization for public investments as measured against project economic and functional benefits and outcomes. Success in this paradigm require the effective integration of technical, commercial, and legal considerations and demands more of infrastructure professionals than ever before:
- Strong deal-making capacity to address the diverse needs of multiple partners and stakeholders;
Broad subject matter knowledge;
- Ability to interpret and integrate diverse project considerations and collaborate with others of diverse backgrounds to formulate project delivery plans; and,
- Disciplined application of decision analysis methods to support good decision-making.
CJI’s service offering is tailored to this need, as we seek to provide context-sensitized, commercially-informed, strategic, broad-spectrum project development and delivery leadership focused on project success.” The diverse subject matter knowledge and experience of our principals together with a strong commitment to project outcomes, enables us to add unique value for challenging projects. Our service offering includes:
- Develop project definition and justification;
- Facilitate strategic partnerships and capital funding agreements;
- Liaise with stakeholders and First Nations;
- Assess risk, analyze procurement options, and develop delivery models;
- Provide technical advisory and due diligence management and coordination;
- Develop procurement processes and documentation, and provide oversight; and
- Manage project delivery and close-out.
Areas of Expertise and Experience
CJI has particular expertise and experience in the following areas:
- Managing the development, design, procurement, tendering, implementation, and construction of major projects;
- Facilitating interfaces between owners, contractors, project funders, and stakeholders;
- Liaising with various levels of government, railways, transit and port authorities, and third-party utility companies;
- Developing and managing various delivery and procurement processes;
- Preparing and managing project agreements and contract documentation;
- Undertaking and managing feasibility and risk analyses;
- Managing and tracking project schedule and costs;
- Advising on policy issues, strategic goals, and technical approaches;
- Providing independent technical due-diligence;
- Providing owner’s technical advisory services and lender’s technical advisory services; and
- Preparing technical submissions on behalf of contractors.